Monday, June 13, 2011

BE INSPIRED BUT BE ORIGINAL


"Be inspired but be original"

A question I get quite often here at L@TSF  is this;  How does one go about starting a business in fashion, building it up and making a successful brand?.  The real answer is that there is no magic formula except hard work, long hours and sacrifice. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am passionate about the details of everything related to our brand and will often lose sleep worrying about the collections and will make my team crazy at times in order to get things right. It is important to create things that are original and true to who you are, not a copy of what has already been done. The fashion world is really unforgiving and is always looking for what is different and new.  It is easy to come up with the first idea and sell it, the challenge comes when you have to present new collections season after season. I always say that you are only as good as your last collection...that is why I am constantly pushing myself creatively to create the most innovative collections that I can for my customers. To give them something unique that makes them feel good when they wear it.  It is my job to be inspired but also to be original.  Keeping yourself inspired is part of the job and where you find unique inspiration is the key to great design. I feel very fortunate to have a wonderful network of friends and co-workers who are artists and designers. We all inspire each other to be more creative, but also stay true to our original identity. So if you are asking me how to become successful in the incredibly competitve fashion industry there are a few things you need to be:


1. You must be willing to work harder than anyone you know:  You have to work night and day to get the job done and stay on top of every detail of your business.  If it was easy everyone would be doing it!!

2. You must be willing to make mistakes and learn from them:  Do not give up and walk away and definately not repeat them.

3. You have to love what you do even when its hard: There will be times when it seems like the whole world is against you.  Things will not always go your way, and its how you deal with these situations that will really define you as a person and business owner. 
If you have a question for me please leave a comment or email me at deartarina@tarinatarantino.com I will do my best to answer them all here!

  

No comments: